Thursday, September 10, 2009

Driving Therapy

I had the most lovely drive home last night. I just can't get over how great it was.

The streets were empty, the windows were rolled down with the warm breeze blowing through my hair, the radio turned up, and I just kicked back and cruised about 5 mph under the speed limit. Which anyone who knows me, knows that that is a big deal. For me the rule of thumb is that 5 over the posted speed limit is a totally acceptable speed.

With the windows down I could hear and smell everything that I normally miss due to loud traffic or filtered AC air. I could smell the fishy smell of the Hayden Park pond, sage brush, wet grass, BBQ, and McDonalds french fries. I could hear...quiet. No zooming of cars or police sirens or honking horns. Just the sound of the wind, my tires on the pavement and the radio. There was a moment when I thought I would just go on driving all night. It was beautiful.

I have been very stressed, depressed, busy, and just overwhelmed the past month or so. But when I got home I felt so calm, relaxed and centered. I haven't felt that calm peace for a while, so I went straight home and went promptly to bed so as not to spoil it. =) It was car therapy.

It's not the first time that I have retreated to the car for some "Hyd Time" and then I go to thinking just how much of me comes from driving in cars.


Ever since I was little, my family would take drives into the country. Which sounds so old school and cliche I know, but those were some of my most cherished memories. Living in Idaho also made for some beautiful drives. Whether it was driving up through the mountains on the twisty, dirt roads, starring out into the forest, or cruising along across the open dessert watching the sun go down, I was always happy in the car (or in most cases, the truck).

My parents tell me that they used to take me for drives when I was a baby because sometimes it was the only way they could get me to stop crying and go to sleep. And so driving was instilled in me since childhood. As was falling asleep in the car. A terrible and dangerous habit I have been trying 10 years to break.

I have always enjoyed road trips. For me, it has always been just as much about the drive, as it is the destination. Packing up the car, picking the snacks, music, games, and color books that I will be needing to get me through the trip. Planning all the stops and attractions along the way. Getting there is fun too! Road trips have been a chance to get to know new people. A time to chat and catch up and spend time with friends and family. A time to self reflect while you are cruising along alone. A time to embark on a new adventure because you never know what kinds of crazy things might happen out on the open road.

I have spent so many hours in the car. Chatting with a friend for hours in the parking lot. Crying with my head resting on the steering wheel. Driving around exploring the city. Discovering new music. Some of the most serious conversations I have had in my life have taken place in the seat of a car. It is kind of amazing to think about.

My car, to me has always been the one thing that was MINE. My ultimate personal space, the place I didn't have to really share with anyone else unless I invited them into it. A place I could retreat to to be alone. My safe zone.

My car is my "happy place". <3

No comments:

Post a Comment