Thursday, July 29, 2010

Idaho Summer Vacation

"Here we have Idaho, winning her way to fame..."

Idaho - Fishing

Having not been home to visit for over 2 years and having not been home in the summer for 5 years, I was overdue for a trip! We planned our 9 day vacay over 4th of July weekend and The Boy and I packed our suitcases, refreshed the iPod playlists, filled the cooler and loaded up in the car for a road trip!

With only a couple of stops along the way to swap drivers and grab food at the beloved Taco Time, we hauled-ass across Arizona and Utah and the drive went by pretty fast. One of my favorite parts about the drive to Idaho is watching the landscape change as we drive from the cactus speckled red rock of the dessert, to rolling hills covered with patchwork green fields, to towering snow-capped mountain peaks. It is really quite an experience.

Once we got to Idahome it was like we never left. We sat and chatted with my family and shared stories and hung out as if no time at all had passed between us. The fam took us out for all kinds of adventures. We rode 4-wheelers and went camping, took a few scenic drives to look at the beautiful mountains and historic sites. Jon even went fishing for the first time since he was young (or maybe the first time ever as he can't really remember).

We ate really awesome food including the fresh bass that Jon caught, though I think his favorite culinary experience of the whole trip was cooking hotdogs over the campfire. As for me, it was the smores (I don't remember them tasting so good) and the chocolate cake that my mom made for me from my Great Grandma's recipe. It tasted just as delicious as I remembered. =9

And of course, we took lots of great pictures!

The best part was that it actually felt like a vacation! It felt relaxed and fun and we came home feeling refreshed instead of tired-out. The only downside of the trip was saying goodbye and the inevitable wave of homesickness that follows. I heart you my Idaho family and I miss you already!

No comments:

Post a Comment