Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thunderstorm Zen Moment


Last night I stood outside on the patio and watched the thunderstorm. It reminded me of when my dad and I used to sit on the front steps and watch them back home in Idaho. We both love storms - snow storms, crazy wind storms, pouring rains, lightning storms (those were the best!) - all of them.

As I stood there, lost in the moment, I felt the warmth of the concrete on my bare feet. I watched the lightning flash in the sky. I watched the wind whip the trees around in a graceful dance. I listened to the thunder roll across the whole world. I smelled the fresh, earthy dampness of the rain on the trees and grass. I felt the soft drops of cool rain on my skin. And for a few unbroken moments I forgot I was in the city. It didn't sound like a city. It didn't smell like a city. It didn't feel like I was in a city full of 6 million people. It was just me and the trees and the rain. And for a few unbroken moments I felt alive and wholly connected with the world around me.

It was a beautiful moment of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment