Friday, July 30, 2010

Summer of Social Solitude

This summer has been surprisingly social-less. Correction, social-media-less. I have been plenty social with those lovely people I have been so lucky to see face to face. ^_^

The social-media drought started shortly before I left to go on my long anticipated summer vacation back home to Idaho. I was so busy preparing for the trip, and then with kitty getting sick, that I almost completely stopped connecting with my usual social media outlets (which need I remind you is an enjoyable part of my day), but with everything going on it, just didn't happen.

As it turned out, it was kinda nice. I didn't have that constant distraction nagging at me to check my Facebook and Twtiter apps every 5 mins. I didn't care who was doing what on Twitter, or who they were doing it with on Facebook or where they were doing it on 4-Square nor did I have a desire to see So-and-so's new pictures they just uploaded to Flickr. I simply didn't care. Not in an emo-I-hate-the-world-and-everyone-in-it-so-I-am-going-to-be-antisocial-this-week-and-see-who-will-even-miss-me kind of way, but in a people-will-do-what-they-do-without-me-having-to-know-about-it kind of way.

I felt untied to the world. Free to do whatever I felt like without having to "check-in". I was able to enjoy the time with my family uninterrupted and while driving home through the boonies of Utah with crappy cellphone reception, I barely even noticed.

I expected I would get home and fall back into my usual social media routine without batting an eye, but it is proving to be harder than I thought! Having not been enveloped in all things online for an extended period of time, you tend to forget they are there. Sitting on the couch reading through book after book or working on my scrapbook pages have proved to be more valuable pastimes lately than spending 2 hours a night (or more!) playing online.

But alas, my heart is tied to the interwebs and it is only a matter of time before I start feeling the inevitable tug of the data at my consciousness and my lappy starts staring at me with big-round-pouty-kitty-cat-eyes.

<-- How can you resist something that cute? You can't.

So even though I am again plugged in, I feel as if I am being a little more picky about where I choose to spend my online time these days. ^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment